Thread: My layout
View Single Post
Old 16th June 2009, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Crawford View Post
Hi John,

I use good old Humbrol enamels. My method for painting hasn't changed much since I did wargaming many years ago.
I also use Humbrol enamels although recently I have started to use Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics. I like the smooth finish that these acrylics generally give and being able to wash brushes in water but I still think enamels give a more durable paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Crawford View Post
Undercoat wagon in black (or dark grey if the finished colour is yellow or red). A heavy dry brush with a darker shade (ie dark blue) of the top coat follows, then dry brush on the top coat (ie light blue). A final dry brush with either white or light grey to pick out the detail. Pick out any further details such as hand rails with a fine brush. Then the entire wagon gets a wash of black to pick out the plank detail.

Sometimes it works, somtimes it doesn't but that's the fun of doing it yourself. I don't have any bought RTR wagons yet but if I do get some then they will get that heavily weathered look.

Alex
Your weathering technique seems to work really well Alex. I just wished I had the courage to try it out on some of my locos and rolling-stock. Even Swiss trains aren't always clean