View Single Post
Old 27th August 2012, 20:09

The porblem is that an extra one million passengers are not going to be enticed with a 6% fare rise. The DFT would be better off leaving the fares as they are (or cutting them in fact) which will attract more custom. Money would in fact be gained in this case and capacity would be more comfortable and flexible.

In principle, I wish for Virgin to remain as the west coast operator, because at least the managment have a bit of enthusiasm. If First group are to be the new operator, in my opinion the success of the franchise could go either way.

We can look at their other franchises for example. First Scotrail is generally a very good service with good rolling stock and a greatly improving record for cleanliness. They also have some success with First Capital Connect and First Transpennine Express, although capacity on the latter is woefully insufficient.

This, however, is not really the fault of First, and is a result of the stupid DFT who really know very little about any form of transport other than roads and positively naff all about trains. They insist on using taxpayer money to buy trains and they also decide what trains are bought, despite the fact that the DFT does not operate them, which is lunacy. I feel that we would be in a much better state today if TOC money was used in the purchase of the trains which would end a lot of this nonesense. I don't wish to go off topic, but i think that it is hardly surprising that a TOC encounters trouble, as the government makes it nearly impossible for companies to succeed, and waste money pointlessly.

To go back to the original point about First itself, htey also have had franshies with bad reputations, such as First Great Western and First North Western a few years back. In the case of the former, I have heard that most of the issues are with express services, but maybe another memeber who is more in the know about this franchise can confirm this.

To be perfectly honest, even if First could provide something of a better or expanded service on the face of things, due to the sheer amount of time and money that is going to be spent in the change over and the unpredicatability that no commuter wants or needs, it is going to be much easier to stay with Virgin.

Oh, and one more thing, could Virgin please cease in calling the Buffet Car a 'shop'?
... And Breathe.