View Single Post
Old 30th August 2012, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmacca1 View Post
We don't 'make' locos any more; we're only considered skilled enough to clean the wax off them when they come off the ship and give them a shake-down. GM, Siemens and Bombardier rule the roost. Given the number of Diesel-electrics that are running up and down the WCML (under the wires) I think the 'green credentials' of many of our operators are open to question as well. Derby, Newton-le-Willows, Crewe, Swindon and co put together some masterpieces but they're now as defunct as the HST and we prefer to buy-in our technology from places that used to be our competitors. The chances of a new British electric locomotive any time soon are now about as remote as Branson reclaiming the WCML.
I'm well aware about the import of railway materials, but I'm afraid not all of what you say is true.

Hunslet has launched a class of diesel electric shunters with a mind to replacing ancient 08 fleets- another class with a good record.
I'm afraind the comment about Bombardier doesn't make sense, as they build multiple units at Derby Litchurch Lane. It has been suggested that the Bombardier Traxx locomotive which sees extensive use on the continent could be adapted for use in this country, although this would involve using a much cut down body in both width and height.

to be fair to the train operating companies, they don't get to choose the multiple units they get. This is decided by the DFT and then the trains are 'leased' by companies such as Angel Trains and Porterbrook, which are completely out of control.
I argue that the goverments basis for buying in foreign locomotives is as absurd as privatisation itself. By building here we could be saving huge shipping costs.

The problem with Brush nowadays is that it doesn't really show much enthusiasm, which is probably a bit off putting.
Hopefully, once Hunslet has got a fair few orders, it might set the ball rolling.