View Single Post
Old 10th October 2013, 15:06

Hello Chloe and welcome to the Forum. This question has been asked in various forms from time to time on the Forum but not for a while now, if I recall, so you'd have to dig back quite a way to find a relevant thread. Most of us would describe ourselves as railway enthusiasts rather than trainspotters, which is a rather narrower definition of people who go and watch trains specifically to collect locomotive numbers etc.

I'm not sure how I can suggest increasing the "accessibility" of the hobby as it is open to anyone who has access to a working railway. However, on the subject of the do's and don'ts, I would stress safety as the first consideration always. Never ever trespass on the railway and always be conscious of the effect of anything you might do on your own safety and that of other railway users.

I would suggest you might start by wandering down to your local station and watch the trains coming and going. It might become quite addictive! The staff are generally happy to have responsible trainspotters on the station but often like you to go and see them first to tell them what you're doing, which I think is reasonable.

Other members, I'm sure, will offer their sound advice but hope this helps.

... and once again, please always make safety your absolute priority when out and about on the railway.

Ian