View Single Post
Old 5th April 2009, 17:43

It's a bit late saying this, but I'll add my fourpennoth anyway.
As a trainspotter in West Cumberland (as it was then) in the mid and late 1960's, Carlisle was my nearest major railway centre. Kingmoor (when it was on the EAST side of the line) was a helluva place to visit, as there was always a fair variety of stuff there, such as Brittanias, Crosti-boilered 9Fs, 8Fs, Black 5s, the very occasional Clan or WD, Ivatt 4MTs (of which I'm one - think about it!) and the usual dose of Brush 4s, BR Type 2s and, on one occasion, an ex-GWR AC Railcar! Upperby was eaqually interesting, with more 'workman-like' locos, like Stanier & Fairburn 4MT Tanks, Ivatt 2MTs and 4MTs, Standard Class 5s (73XXX and 75XXX, particularly the latter) and Black 5s. There were several types of ex-LMS loco that I never saw at Carlisle, such as Royal Scots and Jubilees. Long distant stuff through Carlisle was a mixture of Brush 4s and EE Type 4s, with a rare 'Peak' on the 'Thames-Clyde' express. I don't know what class they became, but I saw a fair few D400s, (Class 50???) which later moved en masse to the Western Region. When steam went, a load of Clayton Type 1s were drafted into the area.
The ONLY train I travelled on in/out of Carlisle at that time was on the line to Whitehaven then to Seascale, where I was living at the time. They were always Derby Lightweight Units (e.g. M79006 + M79606). The stuff I saw on the Cumbrian line was menial and repetative - but that's another story!

Last edited by 43006; 7th April 2009 at 23:51. Reason: Lousy sppeling + recollections added