View Single Post
Old 19th January 2018, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
G'day BW,
Double deckers are not really a solution when doorway access becomes a problem in regard to station dwell times. The NSW government in consort with the federal government here concocted what was a brilliant idea in the mid 1970s. Decentraliztion. Move people OUT of smog hollow Sydney to regional cities. Alas, the scheme faltered due to a number of reasons. I must say that I was most impressed with the French TGV double decker set that I rode in 2008. So, for long distance trains, yes, double deckers can be a viable concept. But, for suburban commuting, things just slow down too much. I thought that the UK did trail a double decker emu train some eons ago. But, found the door access problem caused delays due to added dwell times.
Steve.
Swiss railways are fanatical about punctuality and they don't appear to have a problem with double-deck commuter trains. Make the doors and stairways large enough and double-deck trains will have minimal effect on dwell times. The British trains that you refer to were built to our restricted loading gauge and were horrible congested things with lots of slam doors a far cry from the modern Double-deck trains that are used throughout Mainland Europe.

Last edited by swisstrains; 19th January 2018 at 11:00.