View Single Post
Old 1st September 2010, 21:07

Post Who took the Great out of Britain

Having spent the Bank Holiday weekend in Europe all I can say about the condition of trains here is UGH!
Eurostars are getting a little shabby again, Belgium: interiors clean, trains on time, unfortunately the Graffitti artists have spoilt the exteriors, Luxembourg: clean and tidy, France: clean and tidy, Austria: clean and tidy, Switzerland: superb as usual.
Most foreign railways, including the private ones build trains for passengers, windows and seats line up, you don't have to look at the train side, information normally given in two or three languages, toilets aplenty, need I go on?
As an ex British Rail employee, and a couple of private companies before retirement all I can say the deteriation of both rolling stock and services is an absolute disgrace.
Enough said, except the last leg of my journey home was on Northern late last night and I could find fault but nothing seriously wrong, whilst from Euston to Lancaster the guard/train manager never once came through the train and no tickets were checked.
Bon
Voyage

Davat