View Single Post
Old 15th July 2016, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Long story short.....the guard's role is being changed from being safety critical to just a dogsbody. So the the train can now run legitimately whether they're onboard or not. In time they will disappear completely. The plan which is no secret is to vastly reduce the number of railstaff inline with the McNulty report which was commisioned by the Tory government.

Ultimately there will be few, if any booking office staff, platform staff or on-train staff.

I have a nightmare in which the only person you will ever see on station property will be a solitary school-leaver, who is cheery and very clever with the Ipad that the company has given him, but is a bit lacking in railway knowledge. If you ask him a question, he'll Google it for you.

I hope I'm wrong.

BW
So, even if the Southern plan at the moment is to retain the Guard/Conductor, there will be nothing to stop them removing them in the future. In which case, this shouldn't happen - I think safety will be compromised even if this plan is implemented, let alone removing the Guards altogether.

And why is it only Southern that want to introduce Driver Only Operation - if it was so good, then every TOC would be doing it.

It's seems to be all about cost cutting and while some savings could possibly be made in some areas, I think these proposals would be a bad move.

Tony