View Single Post
Old 17th July 2018, 08:31

G'day Philip,
I was waiting for BW to answer your question.
He being the obvious person to respond.
I did briefly take a squiz at the video clip afore the library "about to shut" bell rang.
My only exposure to Train Simulators (other than the dinkum railway unit) is the Microsoft version.
I gave up on that as it does not replicate how we drove our DC traction electric locomotives.
I did try tinkering with the engine operation code, but the latitude was not built into the original MSTS code.
Hence, the MSTS only permitted driving an electric loco as a diesel.
In smog hollow Sydney, management dictated that drivers should select each notch individually, pausing briefly.
Basically just what BW has commented.
But, many drivers would slam the controller straight into notch 3 or 4 just to get the thing moving as quickly as possible.
Doing this when climbing a grade away from a station, especially during wet weather could result in wheel slip.
Not only causing the cars to suffer "buff forces" (coupler slack run-in and out) but shudder during wheel slip.
The bane of modern day drivers be the Data Logger.
Back in the early 1990s when I was briefly playing trains in smog hollow, only one set class had a pseudo data logger.
Many of the old S sets didn't even possess a working speedo.
The common management attitude being, you can go over track speed by 5 kph to maintain the time table.
BUT, if you exceed the speed limit by 10 kph, and we find out, we will ping you.
The Data Logger today will dob you in for any violation of speed limit.
Riding with the cattle down in smog hollow now days, you can feel the continual powering and shutting off to coast.
The driver attempting to keep train speed up to the maximum, but not exceed such.
This is very evident with the modern day traction where controller notch response is very rapid.
Old cam cars (possessing resistance banks) would gradually notch out the resistance as train speed increased.
You would feel each slight surge as the notching pilot motor driven cam shaft spun.
Firstly notching out of Series resistance, thence Parallel and finally Weakfields.
But, departing up hill in wet weather, at least you could manually notch out each resistance bank to prevent wheel slip.
Manipulating the controller from notch One up to notch Two to remove a bank and back to notch One to hold.
Repeating until all Series resistance was removed and then go up to notch Three etc.
Train speed increase being directly controlled by the driver, though resulting in a very slow train speed increase.
Modern day emu controllers don't permit such manual manipulation as there are no resistance banks involved.
Notch One, starting Series, Notch Two full field Series, nothing inbetween.
Cop a wheel slip and return the controller to notch One, as you start all over again.
But, with the old cam cars, you were NOT permitted to remain in Notch One for any long period.
Doing so could burn the resistance banks.
Back in the early 1990s, inspectors would sneak in with the cattle to check how the driver was working the train.
They could tell from train performance just what the driver was doing.
Then hoof up front and burst into the cab announcing, "I've got you".
This never happened to me.
The only time that an inspector rode with me to check me out, he entered the cab to ride.
The train was running late when I jumped aboard, and I could easily have bashed it back onto table.
But, with the inspector aboard, I had to behave and do things correctly.
Hence the train continued to be late.
"Fanning" the EP brake valve was also verboten.
Rapidly moving the brake valve up and down in notch as train speed reduced approaching a platform.
Fanning the brake valve might cause the 7 step relay to jam and get out of wire sync.
Most emu trains today have blended EP and Regenerative (or dynamic) brake, on the motor cars.
But, blended braking can be a problem in wet weather.
Working an emu train in Westinghouse automatic air brake requires more concentration.
Though, modern day emu Westinghouse brake valves have graduated release which offers better train control.
Our old Metro Vickers 46 class locos were bonzer fun on a very light load train or Light Engine.
Getting going in Series, take a couple of quick resistance notches.
Then, slam the reverser into Series Parallel.
Holding the controller button in, quickly return to Notch One to engage Series Parallel and then take a couple of notches.
Slam the reverser into Parallel, and likewise, back to notch One to engage, then notch up again.
Doing this LE, the rapid acceleration could hurl you up against the cab wall, so you had to HOLD ON.
Just don't let management catch you.
Steve.