View Single Post
Old 6th February 2022, 06:12

Ta Hereward, I think that you can only get into a hospital here if you have the plague and arrive in an ambulance.
I just hafta hope that things improve and I can get in to have me eye surgery at some stage.
I think that the horse cart guideway in smog hollow had something to do with delivery to the markets.
I remember some tv docco mentioning it some moons ago, but forget much of the detail.
Yes, there have been some musings about how standard gauge became.
I guess the you would need to dig up Robert and George to ask them.
I would presume a natural progression from horse carriages to rail carriages.
Horse carriage builders set up capable of producing rail wagons without too much change in technique.
The axle on a chariot needing to be wide enough to fit the frame so that the driver and archer could stand side by side going into battle.
And, horse drawn coal wagons on rails prior to the Rocket stomping along would have been a progression.
Some Yanks have stated that if they had the time again, they would opt for a wider gauge, something like the Ruskie gauge five foot.
Such providing a bigger loading gauge capacity.
Though Brunel did opt for his 7 foot gauge at a time when such was probably not feasible.
Ordinary bus lanes in smog hollow have CCTV cameras to catch wayward motorists.
Motorists legally ONLY able to enter to cross a bus lane where dashed boundary lines exist.
Entering an omnibus guideway would indeed prove catastrophic.
But, no doubt some Croweaters have tried in Adelaide.
Steve.