View Single Post
Old 10th December 2011, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
Although he weather in Scotland has been pretty rough today, that's actually not that unusual

Lines such as the vital links from Inverness to the far north have been closed whereas I remember 40 years ago the train service ran in far worse weather than todays. Is there really a safety issue.

I've chopped the message to make my answer relavent

Weather not the unusual -- The highest recorded windspeed was 165mph that is more than unusual it's unique

40 years ago trains were slower, heavier, had steam engines up front
now a lot have Pantographs and OHEL supplies -

ASFAIK from reports on Gen groups ALL electrics were Banned North of Carlisle and Newcastle ALL trains were to be diesel only

Todays trains are not lighter than they used to be consider the weigh of a mark 1/2/3/4 Coach compared to say a Class 221 coach
a MK1 weighed in at 30 ton while coaches on the voyager weigh in at over 50 ton each. Class 390 weigh in at only 30 tons for a trailer which is at least half as long again

So it's not mass but speed and side profile together with the use of OHEL equipment that made them useless

I can't comment on Scot-Rail but if they are as bad as some other companies then The traveller who had to venture out yesterday SHOULD get more than apologies from them

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643