Thread: Hungate Bridge
View Single Post
Old 10th April 2008, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Many years ago I had a schoolfriend who had built an N gauge layout in his dads' garden shed. It was a simple double track looped 8, giving quite a long run in a confined area. It included one carriage siding, one goods wagon siding and a small locoshed. Stock was two Minitrix 'Warships', one Minitrix Class 27, half a dozen Minitrix coaches and a selection of Peco wagons. And the couplings were fantastic! They worked. Not once did I see a loco uncouple itself from its train, like my stock does. And yet it's the same design of coupling. So why the difference?
Trev,
Is it possible that the different manufacturers haven't adopted a common spec for their couplings (height, tension etc.) or do you still have uncoupling problems between stock from the same maker?
As N Gauge was developed by the Germans the likes of Minitrix, Arnold and Fleischmann all generally worked to common standards and that included the British outline models produced by Minitrix. I think the problems started when Graham Farish and Peco decided to be different and use their own "simpler" version of the German coupler (Rapido).