View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
I appreciate that this is said with an element of fun, but this is a subject that I've given quite a bit of thought to over the years, so I'll jump in and have a rant. Remote control of trains certainly works on 'closed' systems like LUL and DLR, but these are pretty simplistic arrangements and were conceived as shiny new installations. The mainline railway on the other hand still hasn't received enough money/attention just to keep it turning over in reasonable order.
Rant accepted ! My point is a bit more subtle. I am interested in failsafe and "robust" systems. Another word is "redundant", ie if any one part of a system fails, there are unused systems that will take over. The Internet is a example of a robust operating sytem.

Yet there are people and big multinational companies with commercial motives for centralising and controlling everything in the face of practical experience which says that what is being attempted is impossible e.g the NHS computer system.

So while Railproject is trying to solve the technical problem of bouncing signaling data up and down rails or catenary wires, the bigger question is whether this solution fits into a centralised or decentralised contol system.