Thread: GSM-R
View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:25

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney7
Can anyone please tell me how I can listen in to train to shore communications? What kit do I need? Is it legal?
You've entitled this thread 'GSM-R' - so I assume it's that which which you are referring to.

Long Answer

This is the latest digital radio system, based on proven GSM telephone technology, but with a twist that makes it exclusive to the railway.

It will be used for all manner of uses all over the rail network, but primarily it will be train to shore as you correctly say. It will replace both NRN and CSR eventually as those systems are phased out. Because it is essentially phone technology it can provide group calls, so several drivers can speak together at once (as in assistance procedure). Also when running in Emergency mode, all parties in the same cell will be able to listen in to the situation developing.

As well as base units installed in cabs, there are handsets which are like mobile phones.

It is also the digital gateway which enables ERTMS to to talk to trains and provide In-Cab signalling in the future. This is expected to be rolled out on the Southern End of the ECML soon, following trials on the Hertford Loop.

But It's digitally encoded and absolutely secure so no casual lsiteners will ever get to hear it.

Short Answer
You can't

HTH BW