View Single Post
Old 18th March 2008, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
There are several structures down there. Firstly there seems to be a platelayers' refuge which looks quite old. We drivers have had alot of discussions about this, and wonder if it is part of the old station.

It's just off the north end of what remains of the down (southbound) line platform, and the photo has been taken whilst standing at the king points of Smithfield sidings

Additionally there are much newer 'equipment blockhouses' on the Up line, which have been built on top of the old Snow Hill platform itself. There is no gap; where Snow Hill station ends, City T/L begins. VS346 signal just about defines where the old and the new 'meet'.

If you look at the link to Nick Catford's excellent site which I embedded in my previous post, it might help you visualise.
You wouldn't believe I worked there for 6 years would you!!! the pics really have brought the memory back and yeah it kinda makes sense. I imagine the former arch in the picture made up the triangle of track that was there. I only went into the sidings once, so my memory was a bit rusty.

Well done for making it past that today!

Last edited by hairyhandedfool; 22nd March 2008 at 11:48.