View Single Post
Old 27th June 2017, 15:24

Chat moss,and george stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Twofour View Post
Yes I came across the same text for background research. That website is extremely helpful, I use it a lot for reference

Emma
Hi Emma.

Your chat with Tony on the line between Patricroft and Kenyon Junction over the Mosses, Chat Moss being the main name although their are about 8/9 of the mosses known to Enginemen and locals alike,such as
Barton,Irlam,Astley,and of course Chat,what the others are called i do not know.

As per Tony's suggestion on a programme on the achievements of George Stephenson i most certainly would like to know the complete history of how this line was actually built,Tony mentions sheepskins,that is a new one for me, i have heard brushwood,certain types of timber,earth, even peat itself from the bog,the old drivers at Patricroft engine shed even mentioned bales of cotton,and straw,cinders,what is the true story though.

What i must mention is that when going over the moss with a steam engine i could close my eyes and i would know immediately when i was on the bog,as we got a slight vibration until the end at around Kenyon, and yet we could still attain speeds of 70 / 80 mph,plus.

George Stephenson was an engineer way ahead of his time, most of what he constructed is still here today.

Thanks Emma, i will look forward to seeing your future programmes.

Torquay.