View Single Post
Old 14th January 2010, 19:40

Wells to Walsingham.

One of the most amazing miniature railways I have been on that can rival Brookside is the Wells and Walsingham Light Railway.

The line was set up by an old Army colonel along with the mile long beach railway at Wells Next the sea.

At 10.25 inch gauge it was at first mocked by people with the beleif that four miles would be too long for such a small gauge. This was proved wrong as the line is still going strong and could well get a second steam loco very soon.

My advice is to start at the Walsingham end which is better for parking.
A car park just down the road from the W&WLR is the closest to the railway.
Across from this car park is the original Walsingham station with platform still in tact.
The road now covers this section and prevents extension but means that you can drive right past the ferfectly preserved platform face and building- now a house.

The new station is single plaform with a shelter. You may not think this is much but the base is at the Wells end.
The main loco is the blue garratt of which here is a pic:

http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...imageuser=2932

Now you set off along the route most likely in a covered coach.
On the way you go over several level crossings many of which are for farm access however one is a B road.

On the way there are several standrd gauge stations including Wighton halt and Warham station. The platforms survive at both locations.

There used to be a halt for the present line along the route but now this is closed.
At Wells there is the engine sheds and shop and a small museum.
A full size signal box is in operation here.

Here is a website for you:
http://www.wellswalsinghamrailway.co.uk/index.html

Hope thats OK for you.
I should also mention a Teashop at Wells. There is a new carpark at Wells but Walsingham is still advised for less stress!

Hope you like the new guide to the miniatures. I travel on them first so as to get all info correct.

Ratings for this line? 9/10 fantastic!