View Single Post
Old 11th January 2010, 13:42

Hello 48111 'Hot Axle Box Detectors' are placed strategically along the LM Main Line i.e Hanslope, Attleborough, Madeley Jn' these devices measure the temperature on individual axles. If operated a warning is sent to the controlling Signaller. He will stop the train and advise the Driver who will be told the wagon and axle number, describing the problem which axle box, or across the axle. The Driver will check the axle and surrounding axles for signs of overheating. He will use a 'templestick' a waxy crayon which melts at a predetermined temperature if the axle is too hot. He will advise the Signaller whether their is a problem or it might have been caused by dragging brakes. In this instance he can isolate the wagons brakes. If he is totally happy he will continue on his journey. If the driver thinks there is a problem he will work the train at reduced speed to a place where a fitter or competent person can give it a proper examination. If the problem cannot be rectified the wagon will be detached for repairs. If a HABD activates and no problem is discovered and the vehicle continues on it's journey and then the same vehicle sets off another HABD the wagon must be examined by a trained Rolling Stock Technician. Roller bearings are very reliable but through faults etc they can collapse. When the bearing fails, the axle box will rapidly overheat and smelly black oil will leak around the particular axle box. Although I have never had a complete bearing failure I have been told the signs are unmistakeable.

Last edited by Seabrook; 11th January 2010 at 13:50. Reason: Further amplification