Thread: Nodding Off
View Single Post
Old 12th April 2010, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojoe View Post
After working on steam for several years I found working on diesels as secondman made me sleepy. I found it was very easy to nod off whilst sitting in a comfortable seat, being nice and warm and just watching the road ahead. Do/did any of our diesel/electric train drivers have any similar problems trying to stay awake.
I think the word you are looking for locojoe is Nodding Donkey thats what we used to call it and yes it did happen i remember back in the 70s coming down Hemerdon Bank early in the morning with a train of box vans max speed 45mph, Donald the driver woke up and said some choice words then put the brake into full service i dont know the speed we were going but it was more than 45.
I have also come back from Bristol and had a job to keep my eyes open head out of the window talk and sing to yourself make a cup of tea anything to try and stay awake but you can still nod off.
The picture i put on a while ago with the 50 on its side in Paddington station was all down to the driver being asleep.

ccmmick.