View Single Post
Old 14th April 2010, 17:25

Personally Mick, it's a trade off. The passenger train working offers a clean environment, generally more nights in bed also you have a better chance of being done on time. The downside is more 'please explains', trouble from the punters and a management who havn't a clue due to their bus company backgrounds. An aside was the instance was when a Stagecoach Senior Executive while at Waterloo watching the arrival of their train on the first day of privatisation. On seeing a Four coach unit with few passengers on stated in his opinion they should have only run one carriage. He was soon put right by the Traction Inspector in attendance. Freights downside is filthy, draughty and noisy locos, running problems and late finishes especially when you want an early pop. Long waits in mainly grotty messrooms. It's upside is generally a good camaraderie among staff and customers. More problem solving which makes the job more interesting and still having to drive the train! But what do I know, I have always preferred freight working simply for the variety and regular change it offers.
As for waving it takes small effort and is a friendly gesture which reflects the nature of the waver and to me simply polite to acknowledge.