View Single Post
Old 13th April 2012, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
IN ALL my lifetime! I have NEVER......EVER! heard from the Paper Rags! the Radio or TV media any REAL honest explanation of any Industrial dispute that there has ever been ever!
I was going to write a great piece about how the media has divided this country by lying to its people and making a mint into the bargain, but this one sentence says it all really. Thankyou.

I see good work being done a daily basis where my union and management sit down and successfully resolve problems that affect the running of the railway, but all the media has given us in the last is 60 years is UNION BASHING and lousy films like 'Carry on at your convenience'.

The bottom line is I'm afraid, that if you believe what you're told by the TV or Papers nowadays you're a gullible idiot.

------------------------------------
Here's an example fom my personal experience:

1) Union asks for a 2.5% anual pay increase coupled with conditions change to give increased productivity in the roster
2) Company responds with a 5% pay increase - but with an increase to +/- 3 hours movement
3) Union ballots members with a postal vote
4) Overwhelming rejection of offer because this means that with a week of 05:00 spare you could start at 02:00 one day and 08:00 the next, plus any variation following
5) TV & Papers report "GREEDY TRAIN DRIVERS REJECT GENEROUS 5% PAY OFFER" - not "company tries to introduce dangerous rostering pattern"

And this 'misreporting' mischief happens every time there's a dispute.

Last edited by Flying Pig; 13th April 2012 at 20:57. Reason: + detail