View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
I would vote for a 00 gauge 71000 too (although I could never justify running it on my layout for authenticity!) and also a BR Standard 2-6-0 (3MT). I must admit that the variety of model railway rolling stock available now in the RTR domain is really good but sometimes a manufacturer will come up with a real "workhorse" rather than a glamorous loco and Bachmann did this with the Maunsell N Class 2-6-0. I have just managed to obtain one on a certain internet auction site and early indications are that it is a beauty. The Ns and Us worked from Andover to Cheltenham regularly form the very early 50s until "my" line closed in 1961-62 so I was itching to get one. (OK so I bought my own Christmas present!) However, there are a number of other items that would be nice; for the S&D fans a 2-8-0 7F is long overdue in RTR and, as a GWR fan, I'd love to see some Hawksworth-designed coaches as these were late in the GWR's history and survived in BR ownership for some time afterwards. Also, some "proper" 4 and 6 wheeled GWR RTR coaching stock would be nice as would a 2-4-0T Metro Tank to pull them. Lastly, although not my area, a RTR Caledonian 4-6-0 "Cardean" would be excellent as I believe that this was one of the most aesthetically pleasing 4-6-0s ever built and it wasn't even green! I can't really speak for N gauge as I don't model it but it seems to be getting better all the time from the layouts I've seen recently.
After looking through the Hornby website for 2010 releases, it would appear that my wishes have been answered in the form of a variety of Hawksworth coaches in both Carmine and Cream and Maroon - Excellent! My only other wish would be to own a real one - there are a few about in preservation.