View Single Post
Old 6th February 2012, 00:16

Transfer from flat wagon to road trailer was by overhead cranes which ran on tracks of their own , with the capability to lift a "Box" as they were/are known, over a container stood on a wagon or trailer. Crane tracks ran the full length of the siding. Crane manufacturers included Stothert & Pitt of Bath, and Morris Cranes of Loughborough (my employer back then). Cranes were described in a similar fashion to steam locos, ie 2-4-2 or 0-2-2. this had NOTHING to do with wheel arrangement however, but described the number of tracks and road lanes spanned, ie, 2 road lanes then 4 rail sidings then 2 more road lanes. The crane rails were usually outside all the rail sidings and inside all the road lanes.

At the start there were a couple of small containers fitted out as Guards vans which were placed on the rearmost end of the last wagon, but due to protests re poor riding the experiment was quickly terminated and guards were allowed to ride in the rear cab of the loco. One of these guard containers has survived and is in the collection at York museum.

I think that what you have in mind with 2 black fives might be "Condor" which started about 1959 and ran Hendon-Glasgow. Metrovick Co-Bo's were the usual motive power but double headed 5's were used when Metrovicks were not available, or if Wellingborough/Leicester/Toton had to provide a replacement loco a 9f would usually get used.

Terminals. Stratford (London), Beeston (Notts), Leeds (Stourton), Holyhead, Willesden (London) spring to mind.

Hope this helps, if I think of any more I will post it here.

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 6th February 2012 at 01:31. Reason: adding an "e"