View Single Post
Old 19th April 2018, 08:49

Hi Philip and a/s.

Sometimes it has to be this way.

A late running stopping service can cause enormous disruption. If it has a fast service behind it, then it might take all day to sort out the 'ripple effect' of delays spreading through the system.

There are chits which are handed to drivers - a 'Special Not To Stop' notice tells him/her where they don't call.

Conversely it's common to get following trains to stop additionally so they can pick up passengers who've been missed out. For this a 'Special Stop' notice is used. This is done discretionally by operations control in such a way that that it doesn't worsen delays -hopefully.

And yes, I forgot to stop at a station once (doesn't everybody, eventually ?). And likewise I made an announcement about low-adhesion being a reason. Unfortunately, unknown to me was the Network Rail regional manager sitting directly behind my cab in the First Class compartment. Didn't expect that at 3 am on a Sunday morning !

About 45 minutes later the signaller called me. He was laughing and said that 'it didn't come from him, but somebody very high up had alledged that I hadn't called at a station'. Because everything you say to signallers is recorded, I just apologised and said I'd meant to call him and inform him, but I got distracted.

Big rollocking for me then when I got back to base. Tut Tut. Having a safety incident AND failing to declare it. Weewee in a cup and a recorded interview. Shucks. That damn 'Fail to call' is still on my licence 15 years later. What really sucks is that nobody even wanted to get on or off there.

Still what the hell. Nobody died and I didn't lose my job.

Some you win, and some you lose.

Cheers, BW.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 19th April 2018 at 08:51.