View Single Post
Old 11th March 2016, 07:33

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Thanks for the link Tony, 8 hours in delays and £60k in fines brings home the extent of the problems caused. I doubt whether any that were involved in the trespass were genuine regular railway photographers, I've been out quite a bit myself over the years and rarely seen people on the wrong side of the fence, and never close to the running lines.

I think N.R.and B.T.P. need to get their act together before the next run as I don't see the problem going away in the short term. In my opinion this is due to the over the top hype from the NRM and media sources over Scotsman's return to steam. Is this machine so much more important than any other steam loco? What is the significance of its return compared to Royal Scot, which had its first main line revenue earning run on the same day as Scotsman, in my mind the latter was equally important, but I doubt it ever got a mention outside the railway fraternity, and even there the coverage was very low key in comparison

The over done hype is highlighted in the latest issue of Heritage Railway magazine with a picture of Scotsman on the cover, another on page 3, a 3/4 page article on it's Kings Cross to York run, a full page about the non sale of its original nameplate, a thirteen page special feature including a double page photo covering the middle pages, and if that isn't enough a large poster included as well. The report on Royal Scot's first run was covered in four or five paragraphs with a couple of pictures, less than a full page in total

KEN