View Single Post
Old 4th October 2009, 21:26

Andoversford Update.

I have now purchased some suitably dark coloured ballast and it only remains for me to carefully remove all the loose clean stuff before spreading (carefully around the turnouts this time!) and securing the new (old looking) ballast. I think that this will make the layout look much more realistic. I just don't have the inclination to start it yet! As I have a track gang doing a bit of fettling at one location I shall probably leave that area with the "clean" ballast in place. I'm quite happy to model Andoversford Jct in BR days (there is rather more photographic evidence from this period as you might imagine) and, as I have one or two BR liveried items, I could not resist the temptation of adding a little Bachmann 45xx in BR lined black when I saw it offered for sale on Hattons website the other day as a "bargain". 45xxs were a common sight on the line (especially in the 1920s, 1930s and then again for some reason in the 1950s) so I really had to have one! Like all Bachmann locos that I have bought over the last couple of years, it runs beautifully and is a delight to the eye. I managed to find a couple of the "Blood and Custard" "Mainline" ex LMS coaches to run with it. There is photographic evidence to show that these coaches ran over the line so they fit in well. However, I must buy some ex GWR stock in BR livery too. I was pleased to find that the locomotive I chose was 4557 which actually ran over the MSWJR through Andoversford in BR days so that was another bonus! Now I shall have to stop fiddling and get the backdrops made and the ballasting redone!

I attach a couple of photos from a brief BR interlude (ideally all the buildings should be "daffodil yellow" rather than GWR "Light and Dark Stone" but I can't really duplicate them). I had to include 2807 as the real thing is now close to having its hydraulic boiler test! I apologise for the fuzzy shot with the Pannier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4557 Detail.jpg (102.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Pannier 9763 and 4557 at Andoversford.jpg (67.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2807 pulls a full load of coal through Andoversford.JPGSmall.jpg (114.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 4th October 2009 at 21:29.