View Single Post
Old 7th January 2018, 06:26

Four ex SRA execs give Sydney Metro a critique

Four former NSW rail executives severely criticize the newbie private Metro being constructed in smog hollow Sydney.
Two existing segments of the heavy rail network will be converted for the incompatible Metro system.
Currently Northern commuters can access the stations on one of these segments between Epping and Chatswood.
Also lower north shore and smog hollow patrons via northbound services.
In future, those northern commuters will need to change trains at Epping to the private system to access those stations.
One station being Macquarie University which accounts for a large portion of patronage on the line.
The Metro north section scheduled for opening in 2019 requires this segment to be taken out of service for 9 months in 2018.
I can well imagine the traffic nightmare in the region of Macquarie University during that period.
The Metro north service will terminate at Chatswood where patrons must again change trains back to the existing system.
Yes BW, Metro trains will be DRIVERLESS.
The second and longer segment of Metro trains will be the extension from Chatswood into the city and then to Bankstown.
This segment scheduled to open in 2024.
Hence Metro north partons will have a long wait at Chatswood if they don't wanna also buy a Sydney Trains ticket.
The second segment is a major source of complaint by former executives as it requires a large section to be converted.
The existing Banka running from Sydenham to Bankstown will be taken over by Privatization and converted.
Banka circles currently provide much of the inner suburban rail commuting.
Clockwise from Central via Sydenham to Bankstown and continuing around to Lidcombe and then back to the city.
Or anticlockwise vice-versa.
So, privatization will result in existing rail services to terminate at Bankstown having travelled anticlockwise and return.
The Banka is currently also an additional route for the existing system to access the city during trackwork elsewhere.
This will not be possible after conversion.
Some elaborate structure is currently being erected in Sydney yard.
This aerial iron work resembling a fly-over bursts out of some old terrace buildings in Lee Street to descend into the yard.
I doubt that this is involved with the Metro scheme as it would not mesh in with the proposed route.
I would propose that it be something to do with the other private thing making a mess in smog hollow, the SLR.
Currently the Sydney Light Rail terminates on the elevated concourse at Central in a balloon loop.
This iron mongery might be an attempt to link the existing SLR route at Ultimo through Central and up George Street.
The gradient of this metalwork being way too steep for any heavy rail equipment.
But, that would mean the loss of one or two platforms in Central of the existing heavy rail system.
Probably platform 15 which would permit continuing out through the concourse and connect with the balloon loop.
That is after some major brickwork alterations.
Or as in the Silver Streak movie, hurl an F unit up through the concourse to make the hole.
The Metro south segment also does not access Mascot airport.
Hence any Private citizens will need to change trains at Central to then ride the rattler to Mascot.
WHY are we inflicted with this scurry for private transport dollars ?
The closure of Newcastle station and line from Hamilton Junction is also Privatization in pursuit of dollars.
Yes, some private Tram thing will eventually rattle between Hamilton and Newcastle.
Gone are the days of the Newcastle Flyer.
Now, you gotta get out at Hamilton and catch an omnibus to continue into Newcastle.
AH, yes motorists didn't like being delayed at the level crossings between Hamilton and Newcastle.
They can just swerve around a tram thing.
And, developers can erect numerous high rise apartments on old Newcastle rail yard.
OK, I know that our smog hollow heavy rail system is beyond hope.
Smog hollow is beyond hope.
With all roads leading to Rome, er um, smog hollow city, naturally there is congestion.
Had the full Dr. Bradfield plan been implemented in the 1930's, numerous rail circle patterns would have resulted.
It is futile to increase the length of trains, underground platforms are only 8 cars long.
The dwell times at stations now result in numerous delays.
Double deckers were an innovation back in the late 1960s.
But, with in excess of 1600 cattle attempting to get in and out of only 16 doors, delays are inevitable.
Yes, the Private mob will have single deckers with more doors and far fewer seats.
You gotta stand Grandma.
So dwell times will be reduced, so they reckon.
Ah, bring back the good ole days of puffer billies and Evans cars in suburban Brissy.
10 seated cattle confined in each of the 9 compartments with outward opening doors.
Yes, if you got in a crowded compartment, you could jump the seat partition into the next compartment.
Kick fellow cattle in the neck as you did.
The peawhistle blew, followed by a machine gun volley of doors being slammed shut.
Numerous station attendants all wearing the QR pith helmet, running along to ensure that all doors were shut.
The guard blowing his peawhistle and holding the green flag.
The puffer billy whistle blew, then surged into motion.
The guard waving the second right of way from his caboose copping the whistle acknowledgement from up front.
All was well until the next station stop.
I was stunned when the first SX car set arrived at my station.
Stainless steel with an aisle down the centre between the flip over seats, and AIR operated doors.
You didn't hafta get yer finger nails clipped when dropping the Evans door sash window to reach out and work the handle.
I know that some Japanese narrow gauge emu commuter sets have double deckers.
But, double deckers won't fit the QR loading gauge.
QR also don't have them passenger pushers that are found on Japanese stations.
Shove em in before the doors close.
I will just hafta wait and see what impact this private thing has on smog hollow commuting.
Steve.