View Single Post
Old 18th January 2009, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard thompson View Post
QUOTE=Midland Compound;23279
1. one of you goes outwards by train and returns walking, the other walks outward and returns by train. The one who goes by train outwards buys a return ticket, and hands it over to the other when they meet somewhere along the walk.

I suggested something somilar with my brother, but he thought it is actually not legal to buy a ticket with the intent of giving it to someone else. Is it?
Richard
Your brother is correct, Richard.
In the National Rail "Conditions of Carriage" http://nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf it says:

"A ticket may only be used by the person for whom it has been bought. It may not be resold or passed on to anyone else unless this is specifically allowed by the terms and conditions which apply to that ticket and which are set out in the notices and publications of the relevant Train Company."

However, I don't know how they could prove that someone had contravened this rule.

Another interesting rule that might be applicable should you try passing part of a return ticket to another person is this one:

"A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part."

Last edited by swisstrains; 18th January 2009 at 10:35.