View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
According to the person who posted the video on youtube, the max speed was 5mph, due to the use of the wheel skates
Wow, that must have been mind-numbingly tedious.

When using skates it's up to the RST (Rolling Stock Technician) what speed the train runs at, but they usually play safe and stick to 5 mph - especially over points and crossings. The RST usually rides with the train to oversee it.

I once had a to take a pair of 319s from Moorgate to Cricklewood sidings over the Widened Lines like that. A traction motor had seized on one unit (not unusual), so I attached another unit to it and drew the train out into the tunnel so the maintenance crew from Cauldwell could work on it. I took a possession out on the 2 Thameslink platform lines at Moorgate, and they then jacked the affected bogey up so they could slip the skates underneath.

I started off moving at 5 mph as advised, but after 45 minutes we'd only just made it to Clerkenwell No 1 tunnel. The RST buzzed me up from the leading cab of the rear unit and said "stuff this, do 15". I queried it but he said that since the rails on that section of line are bolted onto a concrete raft it would be ok.

So we did, thank goodness.

BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 2nd August 2015 at 19:03.