View Single Post
Old 6th October 2014, 20:43

Post A quick hello from Wales

I got interested in steam when my Grandfather was an engine driver working out of the Gurnos sheds in the Swansea valley, my brother and I even went with him on the footplateup to Brynamman and back, he would stop close to my other Grandfathers house, about 50 yds from the line, to pick us up and drop us off on the return journey, I even have a photo of his engine, LMS. I can also remember going rabbiting up by Madan Adalena Patti's private railway station in Penwillt, in Craig y Nos. I joined the Royal Navy in 1950, so my interest in steam grew more and more, what with the steam trains that took me, and others!!! back and fro from Neath to Plymouth, also being a stoker I served on Boom Defence vessels in Pembroke Dock, and they being coal burners driving steam recips, what more could I have asked for!!
I am a young eighty now, so don't get around so often, and my favourite clip, of which there are so many, is the one of The Southern Irishman, 5029 NUNNY CASTLE, steaming through Kidwelly, and travelling right round the coast, heading for Carmarthen, BRILLIANT absolutely BRILLIANT. Did I say " A quick hello?"
I will keep looking in, I think I will enjoy this site.
Hwyl Fawr.
Julian Best.

Last edited by JULIAN BEST; 6th October 2014 at 20:49.