View Single Post
Old 29th January 2014, 16:08

Thanks for the replies lads. Looks like I'm on to a bit of a no-hoper. Surely, there must be a niche here in the model market for an early type loco. The only other one I can think of is Hornby's Rocket, which I understand, is quite a collector's item these days.
Re the Kitmaster and Airfix kits, I think many of us of a certain age must have had a go at these models. Before a production model came into existence I motorised the Airfix L&Y Pug and it just about had enough power to pull a single mineral wagon! The kits were that cheap that I even stuck two Pugs together and attempted to make a Fairlie type loco out of them, now that would have been a prototype to have seen.
I remember a series of articles in the Railway Modeller during the 1960s of converting the City of Truro into a DukeDog.
There were some nice Kitmaster models which never got into the Airfix range, eg the Princess Coronation and the Beyer Garrett; I would have loved to have modelled those two kits. Although, I did have a model of a Royal Scot in TT gauge, anyone remember that one?
Thanks for the nostalgia.

Last edited by Preston Pilot 47472; 29th January 2014 at 16:14.