View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:44

I am the first to admit I am not devoted to steam .. but I would rather watch one working than ride in a carriage behind one .. in my first post, I did say 'livery', not 'colour' .. I hate seeing the black 5s, and Stanier tanks etc in BR livery with the Lion on a Unicycle plastered on them, especially with the build plate contradicticting what it says on the side ..

Yes, BR is part of their heritage, and maybe one or two should show that, but BR built locos of LMS design (should there be any preserved, I don't know) should be sufficient to show the BR links.

I am glad to be corrected about the LNWR etc engines in their correct schemes .. As I said I am not a ''buff' (more buffer at my age) and do not study the subject, but if I am in the area of a steam hauled line, I like to go and take a few photos, and breathe in the pollution .. was at SVR the otherday and went round the engine house (Birthday present from SWMBO) .. what a pity they , and others, do not have meane to turn a loco round, so that it always hauls the right way round.

I also have a little disquiet at seeing them (all preserved) in near pristine condition .. my memories are of dirty, working engines and stock, running against all the odds during the war .. I remember seeing Queen Elizabeth in the sidings at Crewe in August 1945 .. Rusted and and uncared for, but still doing the job. I know a preserved loco has to be immaculate, or as near as can be achieved, but it makes them big boys' toys, not the drivers of industry that they were built to be.

Years ago I had a little Vincent, ridden day in, day out, very little maintenance and really scruffy .. at our village fete one year we had the local Classic Car & Motorcycle club put on a display, and for the hell of it I took my bike over too, and with their permission, put it in the display area .. got more attention than all the others put together !!

Anyway, gripe over, keep up the good work and get those 4XXXX numbers and livery put right.

Last edited by LMSman; 22nd July 2011 at 17:53.