View Single Post
Old 20th October 2010, 20:03

Welcome to the Forum, Graham, and regret I can't point you to any photographs of the station.

This post does raise an interesting point. Enthusiasts have made huge personal efforts to collect all existing photographs of closed stations and publish them on the internet for the rest of us to enjoy. Subterranea Britannica is perhaps the best known for its list of closed stations, currently detailing nearly 1,500 of them. Correct me if anyone knows better please but I understand this represents around a quarter of all the closed stations in the country. As you have found though, Graham, Sod's Law says that despite this huge effort the station you want to see is never on the site!!

However, it would be interesting to know how many stations have closed but no known photographs exist of them. Even more so, how much (or how little?) cine film was taken of certain lines? I always loved the "Steyning Line" between Shoreham-by-Sea and Horsham which closed in 1966. I remember making just a few short journeys on it when I was quite young. A few years ago I managed to buy a DVD showing all the moving images they could find taken of the line. The total amounted to minutes rather than hours of playing time. Still, it's fantastic that enthusiasts recorded those priceless scenes (in colour too) with the primitive and expensive equipment available at the time.