View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 22:44
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
How far is the line to Duffield away from completion and why was it not re instated when the EVR was constructed,..?
John I don't fully understand the question but I hope this will answer what I think you are asking.

The Branch line was never closed it was mothballed. However no maintanance was done from 1989 until we were allowed to start clearing the line in November 2000, by which time it was a nine mile forest. Since then we have opened the incline up to Ravenstor - half mile. - and three and a half miles of the main branch to Duffiel (to Idridgehay). We are now upgrading the rest of the line to passenger carrying standards, mainly by spot resleepering and have relaid the run round at Duffield. We now have less than one and a half miles left to do and hope to have in done by the Autumn for full reopening next spring.

The mainline connection was removed when the Midland Main Line was upgraded to 100mph running as Network Rail wanted £250,000 per year to maintian the link, money we do not have!

Hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.