View Single Post
Old 13th April 2010, 21:50

Reference for pc terminology change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Now don't shoot the messenger, I'm only telling it like it is.

Some Passenger train drivers in the UK have been advised that following a successful trial in New Zealand, they must not use the expression 'Fatality' when telling the public about people hit by trains.

The Policy Deciders at RSSB have decided that the expression now is "Person struck by train".

And the reason for this is that many people who attempt suicide on the Railway are horribly maimed or dismembered rather than killed.

In New Zealand they found that educating the public to the attempted suicide statistics has significantly reduced the occurance of them.

So when you find your train cancelled due to a 'person struck by a train' - ya heard about it here first !
Hi, I am a psychology student researching for some coursework i am writing at the moment (titled: 'how to reduce deaths on railways'), and I was wondering if you had any links/ general information source references for where you found out about the terminology preference change? Iv been looking around the RSSB website etc but dont seem to have found any information regarding changing the prefered terminology.
Thanks,
Duncan