View Single Post
Old 17th February 2010, 22:52
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
Don't blame me John H-T, I never even got to see it. Since 'She who must be obeyed' has paid for it, you'll just have to wait. On the other hand you could get one of your own and then give us your assessment on it. Sort of gives me something to look forward to, seeing if I agree with your assessment. The only negative in the Hornby Magazine was a little side movement in the rear axle. They pulled a 6 coach train without any problem and had 40 goods wagons on before it started to slip. Their overall view was "The class 14 looks superb, features a high level of detail and performs near perfectly. As such it gets our full recommendation".
A Heljan Class 14 turned up at our Model Railway Club tonight. Fortunately it was a running night so it got a good try out on our 00 gauge layout. Very smooth, quiet and good slow running. The detail is exquisite, the coupling rods are so fine! It looks right so what more could you want?

A few quibbles: The couplings are very droopy and will need some work to get them to the right hieght. The light on the head code box is far too bright, like a search light on the front! The pick ups are too obvious, need to be darkened. Otherwise a fine model.

Seeing it has weaken my resolve not to buy one although I think it is a tad over priced and now that Bachmann are to produce one in N gauge I am not sure that they would not also have done it 00 and produced an equally good model for less.

So will I order one? Well not yet. I have several locos on pre-order at present so may be later. Could depend on what appears in the new Bachmann Catalogue next month.

Anyway Syd I am sure you will not be disappointed on your Birthday. Look forward to your review.

Best wishes,

John H-T.