View Single Post
Old 10th February 2010, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
An immediate problem would be the fact wagons were not dual braked. Wagons could be blow-throughs where a pipe would be fitted to allow for brake continuity but this would not allow the wagon brakes to be operated on the vehicle concerned. Leaving a Loco in the vacuum position would effect brake timings; Quicker Timings for Passenger and Extended timing for Goods. Air brakes work well, Vacuum works well. In very local instances a strange practice may have existed. But my question would be why would you want to play about with brakes. As a Driver I would dig my heels in before doing anything not allowed. After all the very first rule is 'Safety is my first consideration'. Taking chances! Why would you want to!!
Yes i know Seabrook wagons are not dual braked and yes i know all about brake timings but what i am saying is the front portion was on air with a blow through to the rear vacuum portion of the train and believe me it works fine if there was any danger no way would you do it.
This was years ago with very few air braked wagons and a more relaxed railway like i said before no way would you dream of doing it today a lot of drivers and guards did it at St Blazey and a lot wouldn't.

ccmmick.