Thread: Lorries !
View Single Post
Old 24th December 2009, 11:38
Registered Member

Lorries !

Yes Lorries....hang on before you "go off on one", I mean British Railways lorries, it was a delight this morning when I first logged on at just gone 6, to see in the gallery a picture of a British Railways mechanical horse.
We dont seem to have a particular section on here to discuss the "other things" of British Railways. I mean British Railways did not only operate trains and stations, they had a large road fleet, they had ships, they had hotels,they had their own fire brigade, they had buses.
Then they had me (only joking).
But no, it is a wonder why such things have never been discussed on here, after all it is a railway subject, if they have been discussed before I joined then I apologise.
So lets have a discussion (if Admin dont mind) about British Railways lorries,I remember the mechanical horse as they were known, running about town and then after them the Scammel Scarab.
I have a book on British Railways lorries, and one thing that has always mystified me (apart from the missus ), is the fleet numbers they had.
I wonder if anyone on here can explain them ? It does not mention them in the book.