View Single Post
Old 21st January 2009, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60159 View Post
John, I got a message from Buffer asking for a plan which I've done by hand but I'm no artist! My scheme is only my take on things and is merely a suggestion - I'm not an authority and there are many with more skill and knowledge than me.
Hi Mike, I think most of the active modellers on this forum are in a similar category to you, myself included. I know that there are at least 5 members of the forum who are considering or planning a layout and I thought that a general discussion would be advantageous to everyone and not just "buffer". The railway modelling section of this forum often gets neglected so, whenever possible, I try to encourage members to talk about and where possible post pictures of their layouts. I am building a layout myself (Swiss N-Gauge) but it is of very little interest to the majority of members who are staunchly British 00-Gauge.

Quote:
..................Track is laid, all electrics done and it operates (which is a mistake as it means I play with it instead of getting on with the ballasting and scenery!) ..................
I know what you mean..........I am a big believer in getting the layout as quickly as possible to the point where you can get something running. I think this helps to maintain interest but as you say you are then tempted to "play trains" On the other hand I am also a big believer in testing, testing and more testing so by playing trains you can iron out any faults before the track is ballasted and while it is still easily accessible.

Quote:
I've posted the first pic in the gallery as it's too big to attach here. It's my home made control panel which gives a schematic of the layout and has all the studs for point changes and switches for isolating sections. The vertical row of switches are all three way and can switch each coloured section to one of three controllers - 2 on the panel and one plug in hand held. The operating well sits between the grey "yard and engine shed" and the yellow "dock branch". The green branch line rises up from the main through station and the branch station actually sits over the blue and red storage roads (which are not shown complete) and the two yellow storage sidings. (I hope that makes sense!)
Mike
Thanks for that Mike. I like to see a nice tidy control panel. I know the trend nowadays is to go for DCC but I find controlling trains with a conventional control panel is part of the fun. (I must be a frustrated signaller ) I even enjoy doing all the wiring......is that sad?

Last edited by swisstrains; 21st January 2009 at 21:24.