View Single Post
Old 6th December 2008, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...054/Mark-1.jpg

Well heres a rough idea of what i might do, i do feel however im not using some of the space in the greatest of way
Mark, I think that this is basically a good plan. My only concern is that the crossover between the upper two terminus tracks is positioned so that only the shortest of OO locos could be used and the crossover between the lower two terminus tracks is even shorter.
As you are having four terminus tracks I would also suggest that you have them facing in opposite directions. This would mean that a train could leave one pair of terminus tracks, do several circuits of the main loop before coming to rest in the other pair of terminus tracks. After running round it could then return.............I think it is always better if a train actually has somewhere to go, that's why so many modellers incorporate branch lines into their layouts and incorporate hidden storage sidings into their continuous loops.
As regards effective use of space I don't think it does too bad except for the area below the main station although you do need to avoid overcrowding and leave some space for scenic detail.
A possible way of utilising this area would be to expand the turntable and it's tracks into a proper engine shed area with plenty of storage space for your collection of locos which will inevitably grow over the years
Hope you don't mind but I have taken your original plan and added my suggestions to give you some idea of what I mean....sorry about my poor quality graphic skills.
Mark-1_amended.jpg