View Single Post
Old 5th March 2006, 10:09

Didcot is good on a weekday, especially a Tuesday or Thursday, with plenty of action and opportunity to take photographs. It is also a pleasant location and the station has a good buffet which has long opening hours and supplies hot food - essential at this time of the year.
Willesden Junction can also be good on a weekday but it is exposed and there is nowhere near for hot food or drinks and photography can be difficult from the footbridge that runs over all the tracks. Old Oak Common depot is a 10 minute walk away and by walking along the canal towpath at the side of the depot you can pick off a lot of stuff with binos.
Since Christmas I have also tried Rugby and Leicester. Rugby is a cold hole though it does have a buffet supplying hot food and drinks. I was disappointed with the number of locos I saw. Leicester is similar though there at least you get a constant procession of MML HST's and Meridians (if you need any!). And you can always gaze fondly at the crumbling wreck of 58005 on the depot.
Eastleigh I have not visited for some years but I am told it can be hit and miss.
If you want constant action try London Bridge or Clapham Junction in London. Most of what you see will be units but plenty of them and quite a few different classes, and you may well get the occasional loco to boot.
Hope this helps.
Brian