View Single Post
Old 17th March 2008, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
are yousure this is the old station as it is directly linked to city platform 1 (or is it 2? the northbound one) if my memory serves.

on that subject, on the right as you approach farringdon in the tunnel is a house!
Yup I'm absolutely certain. I used to drive through here several times every day, as well as having a good nose-around whilst at Smithfield sidings.

There are several structures down there. Firstly there seems to be a platelayers' refuge which looks quite old - This is a photo I took several years ago and posted to Wiki. We drivers have had alot of discussions about this, and wonder if it is part of the old station.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...unny_Patch.jpg

It's just off the north end of what remains of the down (southbound) line platform, and the photo has been taken whilst standing at the king points of Smithfield sidings

Additionally there are much newer 'equipment blockhouses' on the Up line, which have been built on top of the old Snow Hill platform itself. You must remember that Snow Hill station was located very close to Holborn Viaduct, so that when they modernised the area they tore down the old raised Ludgate Hill station and arches to the Holborn Viaduct complex, and built City Thameslink pretty much in the hole that was created. There is no gap; where Snow Hill station ends, City T/L begins. VS346 signal (which by no coincidence is the last northbound main aspect signal controlled by Victoria ASC before control switches to West Hampstead ASC) just about defines where the old and the new 'meet'.

If you look at the link to Nick Catford's excellent site which I embedded in my previous post, it might help you visualise.

HTH,
Foggy

Last edited by Foghut; 17th March 2008 at 10:56.