View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2008, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
But give the inevitable trend in all walks of like to huge centralised automated computer control I begine to imagine the Rail Network becoming like a giant model railway - with DCC control maybe rather than Block sections signalled from the trackside.
I appreciate that this is said with an element of fun, but this is a subject that I've given quite a bit of thought to over the years, so I'll jump in and have a rant. Remote control of trains certainly works on 'closed' systems like LUL and DLR, but these are pretty simplistic arrangements and were conceived as shiny new installations. The mainline railway on the other hand still hasn't received enough money/attention just to keep it turning over in reasonable order.

Firstly of course there's unbelievable investment required for the automation itself, but much more significantly is the fact that our railway has been operating under "make do and mend" since 1945. Railstaff wrestle on a daily basis with a system which is permanently knackered. Being on the spot enables signallers/drivers/station staff/etc to step in and prevent the house of cards collapsing. Layman understandably view the railway as a large trainset, whereas it's actually unbelievably complex when lift you the lid and look at what goes on.

I think you may be right about automation and remote control - it would make financial sense to do this, but it's gonna take a while. I've got 19 years service still to go and I doubt very much whether I'll be out of a drivers job before I go (at least I b****y well hope so ).

HTH,
Foggy