View Single Post
Old 10th December 2007, 22:12

I'm sure this is an old line??

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section...

I'm hoping you kind people may be able to help me identify what I'm sure is a long abandoned line.

To fill you in, I have until recently lived in Aldershot, Hants for 18 years, and in those 18 years I have noticed what I'm sure must be an old railway line - A very straigh footpath, with gentle curves, perched upon an embankment. Well, Google Earth (I think) confirms my suspicions, due to the path of this 'line' joining onto existing tracks.

The area where I first suspected this apparent line is towards the end of the A331, just before the roundabout for the A31, on the left side - see GE screen dump below. From this point this now non existent line joined up on to the line that currently takes trains from Aldershot & Reading onto guildford, just before Wanborough.

I have searched and searched everywhere, but to no avail. Would anyone happen to know what this line was once called, where it served? I'd love to do a bit more research on it, but without a name I seem to have hit a wall.

Hopefully someone can help, which would be most appreciated.

I've put in a yellow line to indicate what I believe to be the path of the line to give you an idea.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/918/dumpgt1.th.jpg

Regards,
Stu

Last edited by semtex; 12th December 2007 at 21:25.