Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Models of 'One Off's' (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=2137)

Trev 3rd February 2008 23:05

Models of 'One Off's'

What with Heljan releasing a model of D1200 'Falcon', and Bachman threatening to release a model of the prototype Deltic later this year, I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts on other 'one off's' that they would like to see from the manufacturers.

The Hush-Hush is an obvious one, but the 4-6-4 wheel arrangement might prove to be a problem, given that very little else (in the UK and Ireland at least) used this wheel set up.

So, any 'one off' that you'd like to see?

As an aside, and probably o/t, is it right to use the 'of' word with a double f? I've been thinking about this whilst writing this post. For example, there was only 'one of' Class 53 (Falcon), but it's always described as a 'one off'. English eh?, weirdest language around.

Anyway, my vote for a 'one off/of' would be HS4000 Kestrel. To my lifelong disappointment, I missed seeing it by a matter of weeks. :(

Bubblewrap 3rd February 2008 23:22

How about the Gresley Garrett 2-8-0 0-8-2 ?

DSY011 3rd February 2008 23:35

How about any Garratt, which I know we will never get, so what about A LMS Fowler compound 4-4-0 Number 1112

Trev 4th February 2008 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSY011 (Post 13345)
How about any Garratt, which I know we will never get, so what about A LMS Fowler compound 4-4-0 Number 1112

I must admit that I don't know much about that particular locomotive Syd, but if it's a pre-grouping design, then I think it could be a goer, at least in time. I've been reading a lot of stuff in the model railway press about the major manufacturers thinking about pre-grouping loco's. And why not? The market is almost saturated and if they want to keep on making money, then pre-grouping is the way to go. Maybe the Lickey Banker as a one off? It'd certainly sell, both as an operating model and also as a collectors piece.

I do agree with you about the Garratt though. The development costs for any manufacturer wold far outweigh any returns. Sadly, 'cos even I, as a out and out diesel fan, would probably buy one.

Bubblewrap 4th February 2008 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSY011 (Post 13345)

LMS Garrett has been done in kit form, I have seen one running

swisstrains 4th February 2008 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev (Post 13341)
.....................As an aside, and probably o/t, is it right to use the 'of' word with a double f? I've been thinking about this whilst writing this post. For example, there was only 'one of' Class 53 (Falcon), but it's always described as a 'one off'. English eh?, weirdest language around.

I'm probably wrong but I've always been under the impression that the term "one off" refers to the manufacturing process. e.g. Only "one" xxxx came "off" the production line.:)

paul miller 4th February 2008 10:26

I still think a Garratt will appear. Yes it will be expensive, but I think enough people will buy it to make it viable.
I would like to see a compound as well. Dirty and with the early B.R crest as I remember them.
My first choice would be a Robinson 2-8-0. That would be special.
We all have our preferences with locations though dont we?
Mr Bachmann and Mr Hornby, even Mr Heljan cannot keep us all happy.
Paul.

John H-T 4th February 2008 11:11

I know that Hornby have measured the Robinson 2-8-0 at Loughbrough.

I think Bachmann's link with the NRM could produce some interesting locos. The guy on the NRM stand at Warley, where the Deltic was on display, seemed to think that City of Truro would be next.

Hopefull the MR/LMS Compound could be a mainstream model as there are so many variations. Perhaps now that Hornby are back to producing 4-4-0's with the T9 and the Schools we might see a few more.

Hopefully Hornby will remember that there were two other companies in the Big Four soon! The SR and LMS have done very well recently.

Bachmann seem to be having a fairly quiet year this year. Perhaps they are going to try to release models in the year they anounce them in future!

One day I might get round to assembling and motorising my Kitmaster LMS Garratt. Sadly it is probably worth more as a kit ... about £70!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Bubblewrap 4th February 2008 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul miller (Post 13354)
I still think a Garratt will appear. Yes it will be expensive, but I think enough people will buy it to make it viable.
I would like to see a compound as well. Dirty and with the early B.R crest as I remember them.
My first choice would be a Robinson 2-8-0. That would be special.
We all have our preferences with locations though dont we?
Mr Bachmann and Mr Hornby, even Mr Heljan cannot keep us all happy.
Paul.

I think the Robinson 2-8-0 has been done in kit form try Ks or Wills

John H-T 4th February 2008 19:18

It is amazing what has been done in kit form. The Hush hush for example, so Trev fancy a bit of kit bashing?

Best wishes,

John H-T.