Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Have a go man ends up in court (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=3041)

locojoe 18th September 2008 18:24

Have a go man ends up in court

A retired railway engineer was so annoyed with youths causing trouble on his beloved trains he faked a transport police ID card and accosted a fare dodger.
Brian Taylor, 61, challenged a youth he claimed was a persistent troublemaker on a train from Thornton Heath on August 18 using a crude photo ID he had made ten minutes earlier that day.
“I see the kids everyday throwing things onto the line or shouting in the carriages. I get really, really annoyed and want to protect the railway.”
Brian Taylor
Unfortunately for Mr Taylor an off-duty police officer was sat next to the youth and realised the ID card was forged and he was arrested.
Mr Taylor pleaded guilty at Croydon Magistrates’ Court last Wednesday to impersonating a British Transport Police officer.
It took the court more than an hour to find out what punishment could be given because of the rarity of the offence.
He was eventually fined £50 and ordered to pay £23 and a £15 victim surcharge.
Speaking after the conviction, Mr Taylor said he had been driven to distraction by the constant antisocial behaviour by youths on the railway he loved.
He said: “My grandfather was a steam train driver, my father worked for the railways and I was a railway engineer all my life.
“I see the kids everyday throwing things onto the line or shouting in the carriages. I get really, really annoyed and want to protect the railway.”
He made the ID using a passport photo and some plastic from a railway leaflet, and despite its crudeness the youth admitted not having a ticket, but the off-duty officer knew something was amiss.
Mr Taylor revealed it was not the first time he had tried to be a have-a-go hero, having been stabbed in the liver for his troubles outside Marylebone station in 1992.
He saw some kids harassing a woman outside the station but as he told them to clear off one went at him with a knife and plunged a blade into him.
But that did not deter him this time, and he said he was “proud to have made a stand”.
He added: “I think it is rubbish I get arrested for trying to help.
“You ring the number the train service give to get help and by the time they come it is too late.”
What do you think about Mr Taylor's actions? Have your say

swisstrains 18th September 2008 18:36

In my opinion the off-duty police officer had his priorities totally wrong. It was obviously easier to nab Mr.Taylor than do something about the youth himself.

bramleyman 18th September 2008 20:11

It just goes to prove that real criminals are free to do what they like while the police can so easily nab an older person for less. The man Should have been given a medal.

richard thompson 18th September 2008 21:45

sad really, the law seems to protect the criminal more than victims. having said that he was wrong to forge id cards and accost a villain.
Richard

robbo 18th September 2008 22:01

Totally agree with Bramleyman !!

Easier to prosecute the Old gessers than the youths so the police take the easiest option.

They should get priorites right !!

Deathbyteacup 19th September 2008 08:02

Forgery is argubly a more serious offence than fair doging - something outside the off-duty officers juristiction.

Having said that I've thought about doing something similar on one occasion. I even contemplated actually becoming an inspector on Metrolink at one stage after hearing about kids who throw a woman off a tram because she asked them to stop throwing popcorn at her.

Wouldn't happen on my watch. I'm a big guy. :p

Arthur Maunsell 19th September 2008 19:57

he got all he deserved for doing something daft....