Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Will Valey Railway. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=3419)

John H-T 30th November 2008 21:07

The Will Valey Railway.

2 Attachment(s)
Well after a lot of thought and planning including full size drawings I have got the timber to start building the baseboards including the base for the upper station: Wilford Wells.

Wilford Wells is a short branch off a branch from Wilford Junction. The branch line was closed at the beginning of the 1960's and transfered to a presevaton group who already had some stock and were looking for a base. Later th main branch was closed and taken over by the preservationists.

I attach a couple of photos of an initial mock up of Wilford Weels Station with various buildings I have but not those that will be used on the layout. The platforms are standard Hornby and are there just to give some idea of how it might look.

John H-T.

buffer 30th November 2008 21:23

Looks good John but i did'nt think ya mean't being that quick, gotta get the garaged squared up abit first eh.
Anyway i will keep looking for more up dates, all the best......:eek:

swisstrains 30th November 2008 21:26

Is Wilford Wells a terminus station John?

John H-T 30th November 2008 22:06

Yes John.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

paul miller 30th November 2008 22:33

Look forward to seeing that progress John, Best wishes.
Paul.

swisstrains 30th November 2008 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 21369)
Is Wilford Wells a terminus station John?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H-T (Post 21370)
Yes John.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

In that case I assume that the 3-way pointwork forms part of a runround facility but I can't understand why it is not closer to the end of the line especially if the 5 coach train, shown in the photo, is going to be a typical consist. .........OR am I jumping the gun and reading too much into the photos at the moment?

John H-T 30th November 2008 22:50

Good point John. The run round is designed for two coaches. The points are where they are to miss the joints in the baseboard.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

swisstrains 30th November 2008 22:59

I think it's becoming clearer now:). So the normal procedure would be to push the two-coach train out of the platform, run round and then propel it back into the platform again? The tail on the runround track could also be used to store a spare two-coach set?

david1943 1st December 2008 00:07

Hi John its always a lot of fun starting a new project, the subject sounds great and I wish you well and hope it brings you lots of enjoyment.

Dave.

Tony 1st December 2008 17:40

Dear John, (no, not one of those!)
Nice start, good photos. Could I suggest that platforms are easily and cheaply made by using picture mounting card. Easily available from any art picture framer, it is 2mm thick, solid card which comes in a wide variety of colours. A full sheet will last a lifetime of modelling, most shops have offcuts which are ideal for modelling. Best used with UHU glue for a strong construction.
Cut a few strips each the width of the platform height (don't forget to allow for the 2mm thickness ot the platform surface), and form the front and back of the platform with cross members every 3 inches (or 75mm in new money).
This gives a very strong,rigid construction. With the card, you can cut any shape so curved platforms are easy to make.
Best of luck with your project, I look forward to seeing future results.