Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Why does DB Shenker want to scrap class 60's (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=6976)

lnwr20 19th February 2010 00:24

Why does DB Shenker want to scrap class 60's

Whilst working on a re-lay site in Newport south wales last weekend i witnessed 2 class 66's working in tandem, on the ex-Robeston fuel train when this working was always a single class 60 working. An as far as i knew it was banned to have 2 66 working mulipule but i guess our German friends have now over ruled this, cause you have to have a platform in between the 2 66's to connect the jumper cable as its to high to be done from the ground by the driver or shunter, an permission had to come from head office up in Doncaster.

ccmmick 19th February 2010 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnwr20 (Post 42086)
Whilst working on a re-lay site in Newport south wales last weekend i witnessed 2 class 66's working in tandem, on the ex-Robeston fuel train when this working was always a single class 60 working. An as far as i knew it was banned to have 2 66 working mulipule but i guess our German friends have now over ruled this, cause you have to have a platform in between the 2 66's to connect the jumper cable as its to high to be done from the ground by the driver or shunter, an permission had to come from head office up in Doncaster.

I dont know why 60s are being phased out to me they are a lovely loco.
We used to call the 66 a Ford and the 60 a Rolls Royce :( :(.

ccmmick.

lnwr20 19th February 2010 00:45

Well i recon the 60's are far superior to a 66, an the ride quality is so much better on a 60 an their quieter. The 66's are just to noisey which ever cab your riding in.

ccmmick 19th February 2010 00:49

Have you ever been in 67 Phill.

ccmmick

lnwr20 19th February 2010 01:01

I'm sorry to say no i hav'nt had that pleasure of cab riding a 67 yet are they really that bad?????, Well i suppose being built by GM they must be are they the same as a 66 with the power unit being bolted direct to the frames so you feel all the vibrations when under full throttle??????.

21Aman 19th February 2010 01:02

The main reason class 60's are being phased out is the cost of keeping them going,most of them are due costly "F" exams ( £500,000 at least per loco) and as traffic has fallen off drastically there are plenty of 66's available to run in "multiple", which in the economic climate at present,is a cheaper option.

21Aman 19th February 2010 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnwr20 (Post 42094)
I'm sorry to say no i hav'nt had that pleasure of cab riding a 67 yet are they really that bad?????, Well i suppose being built by GM they must be are they the same as a 66 with the power unit being bolted direct to the frames so you feel all the vibrations when under full throttle??????.

A 67 on the ECML at 100mph plus is unbelievable,much worse than a class 86/87 electric ! and you couldn't drink a cup of tea on them ! whilst moving at speed.
I think a 5XP steam loco at high speed rode better than a 67,they are probably the worst riding loco's I've ever driven.:eek:

ccmmick 19th February 2010 01:09

I can tell you Phill they are bad worse than any loco i have ever driven.
Coming down Hemerdon bank at 4am 80mph with a mail train, there was a damp patch just before Plympton and if you went over it at 80mph line speed you would leave the seat.
A 66 is a lot better ride 6 wheel bogie where a 67 only has 4.
They should scrap the lot.

ccmmick.

lnwr20 19th February 2010 01:12

So instead of having a quality loco like a 60 they prefer to have there drivers using a loco thats akin to a Ford model T.......LOL an how bout when EWS supplied all drivers with ear-defenders because of the noise in the cabs whilst under power. What price would anyone put on hearing......???????

lnwr20 19th February 2010 01:18

Well ccmmick if you'd been working down from Shelwick Jn bout 5 years back when i was in the gang if the drivers were'nt watching the road they would end up wearing there tea, when we were packing joints...