Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello from Ottery St. Mary (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=3204)

klank 17th October 2008 14:47

Hello from Ottery St. Mary

Hello everyone - found this site by accident!!
What a good group of people to meet.
I began as a trainspotter (with baggy short grey flannel trousers and scabby knees) in the '50's in Surbiton and still have my Ian Allen books.
Wish I'd had a camera then but couldn't afford it.
I took one b/w shot of Winston Churchill's funeral train with a very old Kodak box camera.
All my other photos came much later - mainly of "former" railway lines and overgrown track beds, plus of course much of the contents of Woodhams' scrapyard in the mid '70's.
I have a great regard for the old GCR - Robinson's locos were such elegant designs - despite their lack of breath (except the Directors) - pure Edwardian beauty.
I would love to post pics. but don't know how to convert my prints and slides of the 70's - can anyone help?

pavorossi 17th October 2008 16:37

Hello and welcome to the forum Klank. I'm afraid I can't help with your pictures, but I'm sure someone will know the answer, and when you get it sorted, I look forward to seeing your pictures.

locojoe 17th October 2008 18:43

Welcome to the forum Klank. Yes the Directors were great express engines on the GCR.

Tony 17th October 2008 18:52

Welcome Klank, I also remember the grey shorts and scabby knees - I also remember my Ian Allen Club number; 57113 that was from about 1949!

Shed Cat 17th October 2008 19:45

Hello Clank.

Welcome. I still use 35mm and prints, so I scan the prints on my basic all-in printer/copier /scanner and then upload the photo files. If you havent got a scanner then you might have a bit of a problem.

Good luck

DSY011 17th October 2008 20:30

Hi Clank, welcome to this forum. I have to agree with Shed Cat, if you don't have a scanner, you will have a problem. You can pickup a plain scanner very cheaply now days and it is a good way to make copies of all your photos. Hope you are able to post some of your photos on this site soon.
Good luck,

klank 17th October 2008 20:45

Thank you all for such kind and courteous replies.
Yes - I have a scanner so must get to work.
Respects and best wishes to you

Peter

G6 UXU 17th October 2008 21:02

Hello Peter and a very warm welcome to the Forum, looking forward to your photos. All the best.

garrat 17th October 2008 22:18

Hi Peter and welcome to a real good site.I remember those days well ,old satchel a bottle of dandelion and burdock and a couple of sarnies.I also had an old box camera I secretly borrowed from my dad took a couple of pics and then he caught me with it .If only he had known I could have made a mint.instead i got well and truly punished ooo the love of steam eh! Paul

paul miller 17th October 2008 22:32

Hi Klank,
I used to watch Austerities when I was a kid, they used to klank a lot.
Welcome to the forum.
Paul.