Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Girlie Train Person saying hello. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=15510)

TJx 31st March 2017 14:24

Girlie Train Person saying hello.

Hello!
Always been fascinated by trains, especially steam trains (have been told it's weird for a girl) and am old enough to just about remember them.
My dad was in the London Fire Brigade and was involved in the Harrow & Wealdstone rail disaster in 1952.
It upset him so much he left and became a London bus conductor.
My brother has written a book about the disaster.

Interested to read all the amazing details people here know so much about!

pre65 31st March 2017 14:28

Hi, it's not that weird.

My partner is 59 and she has been into steam since she was a girl. Pestering her mum to take her into Bradford to see steam trains, and she once lived very close to Low Moor shed.

So, welcome here, and please ask if you have any questions.:)

G6 UXU 31st March 2017 14:39

Hello and welcome to the forum from all the staff, looking forward to some of the stories from your dad and brother, enjoy and all the best.

Master Cutler 31st March 2017 15:45

Welcome to the forum TJx.
My eldest daughter has always loved railways especially steam and has worked for a national rail company for many years.

bramleyman 31st March 2017 17:07

Hello TJx and welcome to the forum. You may be in a minority when liking railways, but despite being happily married, I have a female friend who is into the Flying Scotsman.

hereward 31st March 2017 20:36

What is the book TJx?
I remember the daily reports about the disaster on the wireless.

davat 31st March 2017 20:43

Hello and welcome to the forum TJx
You think this is weird for a girl, not so, I have known many girls and older who have an interest in trains especially Steam. I have been on excusion in various European countries and know females who ofen go with us.

David Commonly known as Davat.

DSY011 1st April 2017 20:47

Hello TJx and welcome to the Railway Forum. I had a girl friend in Rhodesia who tried to become fireman (girl) but was turned down a number of times. My driver let her come for a spin on the footplate once, and I let her fire the 15th Class Garrett we were on. She was quite good at it. She did join the railways, but in an admin office.

TJx 4th April 2017 21:45

Thank you for the welcome! SOOO glad I am not the only female train person then! Loved them since I was a child. Was always fascinated by the thundering Deltic diesel trains more than anything....terrifying and thrilling at the same time. My awful brother Jeff used to scare me by going down to the line and putting old pennies on the line and pretending to get his foot stuck on the line....I'd be up on the bridge screaming and crying!
Brother's are terrible creatures!

DSY011 5th April 2017 19:15

Oh NO we are not.